Unfortunately we are now closed until further noticeFind out more
Why Our Pub is Great
The Shire Horse pub is a great place to eat out in Killingworth—for all the family. Our location just off the A19 makes us the perfect spot for families coming from Newcastle city centre and the coast. And our legendary menu, which combines a traditional carvery with classic pub grub and modern interpretations, is as popular with the locals as it is with travellers and shoppers.
If roast dinners are your thing, you’ll come back for our carvery again and again. And because it’s served daily, you don't even have to wait until Sunday. Tender meat, Yorkshire puddings, gravy, stuffing, roast potatoes, and veg are prepared fresh every day, and you can have a vegetarian option too. For the extra-hungry, we offer a side of pigs in blankets and a large carvery plate with additional meat, Yorkshires, and stuffing.
Great pub tradition is at the heart of everything we do. We’ve brought favourite pub meals up to date with exciting flavours and thoughtful little extras. Style your chicken your way, either roast or fried in Marston’s Pedigree batter, and finished with a choice of sauces. Sweet tooth? You’ll be bowled over by our dessert selection! We’re famed for big portions and delightfully decadent ideas.
Our Pub Facilities
Safety is our Priority
Caring for our People Makes Sense
- Looking after our teams means they can look after you.
- This starts with providing our already fantastic teams with additional training to follow safe COVID-19 working procedures and regulations.
- Each day team members will complete a health screening questionnaire to confirm they are in good health prior to beginning work.
- We ask that you do your bit and respect our teams and any requests they have. It’s all with your safety in mind.
Keeping Social, whilst Social Distancing Makes Sense
Look out for additional signage in pub to establish safe, social distancing
This might include:
- Highlighting where and how you order at the bar
- Removing some tables to ensure comfortable social distancing can be maintained
- Managing capacity, meaning you may be asked to queue outside
Caring for you, your friends and family Makes Sense
- Hand sanitiser is available to use at every entrance for your peace of mind.
- Once inside we’re taking as many steps as possible to reduce contact
- Our menus will be used only once and are fully recyclable once you’ve finished with it
About our food
Our food is full of flavour, created and served by chefs who love what they do. We believe that great tastes should be at the heart of every meal, and we strive to bring you a menu that reflects the preferences of the whole family. From traditional roasts, to more modern options, healthy eaters to vegetarians, there’s plenty on our menu to satisfy everyone.
All of our ingredients are ethically sourced: like our Red Tractor farm-assured chicken and our responsibly-caught cod.View our Menus